Axiom Verge Impressions

Photo courtesy gamespot.com
I’ve never played Super Metroid… or any of the 2D Metroid games. I enjoyed Metroid Prime back in the day and I’m a huge fan of the “Metroidvania” sub-genre, but Super Metroid remains the most coveted titles that I’ve yet to play.

Still, games like Symphony of the Night, Shadow Complex, Batman: Arkham Asylum and Guacamelee hold dear spots in my heart. I consider that genre to be the pinnacle of game design, with an addictive and rewarding system that compels the player to press forward while building a tangible sense of place. And by all accounts, Super Metroid is the pinnacle of that style of design. I plan on playing it at some point in the near future. I just need to get my hands on an SNES original cartridge (which is selling for a pretty hefty $50 on Amazon).

The genre is also a notoriously difficult style of game design to develop, with its labyrinthine worlds and precisely paced progression system. So it’s all too rare to find a game that attempts this game design, let alone nails it. This scarcity is why Axiom Verge is one of my most anticipated games. This isn’t to say that Axiom Verge will be a sure-fire indie hit – but from my recent hands-on with it, I came away even more excited for the final product.

"Basically it looks and sounds 
just like Super Metroid"

The first thing I noticed from the demo, which takes place at the very beginning of the game, is how it not only looks like a game that should’ve been made in 1991, but it feels like one as well. The main character is a nerdy slacker type with scruffy hair, and the music would have fit right into a grungy 1980’s Hollywood sci-fi movie. Basically, it looks and sounds just like Super Metroid, right down to the enemy design and AI routines.

As I played for the next half hour, I noticed little oddities that caught my eye for how subtly they were integrated into the world. When enemies are hit, they take on a glitchy blank space like a computer on the fritz. The controls feel familiar, but the speed and agility of the character add a versatility that feels decidedly modern. Again – these are minute details that are easy to miss, but stand out enough to prevent Axiom Verge from feeling antiquated.

Photo courtesy axiomverge.com

The progression of your character is also impressively expedited. New weapon upgrades and abilities come at a pace that I haven’t seen in the genre. The game’s creator, Tom Happ has noted that he wants Axiom Verge to appeal to speed-runners, with speed-running becoming an integral part of the experience. How exactly that will be done is yet to be seen, but from what I played, the game moves at such a steady clip that it made me not want to put the controller down.

But alas, we have to wait a while longer to uncover all the mysteries Axiom Verge holds in its Metroid-inspired world. Hopefully we’ll have a release date soon, but for now, we should all just go play Super Metroid. I know I will be, and I plan to write all about it in a later edition of The Weekend Paper, so stay tuned.


Axiom Verge is set to release on PS4, Vita and PC in early 2015. Check out the trailer below.

Comments