GOTY Video: Child of Light

I'm not exactly sure why young women star in so many classic fantasy tales - Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz and Pan's Labyrinth just to name a few. It's a curious thing, really, that a genre so often associated with adolescent boys could display so many rich examples of strong female protagonists. 

Ever since my daughter was born, I've been extra sensitive to these things, and maybe that's why I'm so smitten with Ubisoft's picturesque Child of Light. The main protagonist, Aurora, plays the fish out of water in this living storybook adventure. She's a strong-willed girl, whose appearance belies her power. She has the will of a King, yet she has trouble wielding a sword. Her battle animations always end with her dropping her sword as though she couldn't have carried it a moment longer. But that doesn't make her appear weak, it only makes her more relatable. The very fact that she pushes forward despite her physical limitations only makes her seem stronger - both emotionally and mentally. 

I could go on and on about why I love Child of Light, but it'll be much more entertaining for you to just watch the video. I'll be back next week to cover two more of my favorite games of 2014 - The Last of Us Left Behind and Wolfenstein: A New Order so stay tuned for those.


Comments