The Weekend Paper Game of the Year 2014

I know this blog is read by a lot of people who don’t keep up with the world of video games, so I will try to make it relate to normal people – meaning, people other than me. As someone who has written about games semi-professionally in the past and is currently pretending to write about games professionally in my spare time, I feel the need to do what all the entertainment journalists do – write year-end “best of” lists.

In my case, though, as someone who makes his living monitoring security equipment for a bank – i.e. not by writing about video games full time – I have very little free time for actually playing video games anymore. Where I used to toil away hours learning the intricacies of every level in Rayman Legends, I now spend my free time trying to come up with new ways to make my daughter laugh. I wouldn’t trade the latter for the former, but if I could just add hours to each day, so I could squeeze in both, that’d be great.

Photo courtesy bgr.com

As it goes now, I pretty much have to decide when it’s appropriate to ignore my wife and retreat to my man cave/ baby playroom to play any number of the games I still have yet to complete. Games I play typically take anywhere from 3 to 40 hours to complete, and I’ve had much more time for those 3 hour games than for those 40 hour epics this year. Sorry Dragon Age, your world is massive and gorgeous, but it’s hard for me to dedicate the kind of attention you demand/ deserve.

So this year has been a particularly challenging one for me in regards to picking a game of the year. I’ll be completely transparent here. Most of the games I’ve completed in 2014 were smaller games that require much less time and much less attention. This has led to me discovering the joy of mindless, endless mobile games like Flappy Bird, Caveman Pong and Desert Golfing. These are the sorts of games that require only half your attention and for only about thirty second stretches at a time. They’re toilet games basically.

Flappy Bird in particular, really challenged my perception of what constitutes a “good” game. It stole its art assets from Super Mario Bros. and it’s so simplistic in its design that I wouldn’t be surprised if Dong Nguyen created it in less than an hour. Yet, it’s so addictive and, dare I say, fun to play. It’s the perfect distillation of the way old school games could turn normal people into masochists.

While we’re on the subject of games that challenged my perception of “good”  – let’s talk Destiny. If you’re unfamiliar with Destiny, it’s a game made by hundreds of people at developer Bungie, the company behind the wildly successful Halo series. It was supposed to be the action gamer’s answer to the also wildly successful World of Warcraft – a massively multiplayer online game. It was supposed to usher in a new era of gaming only possible on the fancy new platforms. These were all expectations that eager fans – myself included – thrust upon the game before Bungie took the public relations shield off the final product and we all saw what it really was… much less than we had hoped.

Photo courtesy 8bitchamp.com
Yet it still managed to become a massive success – and for my friends and I – the game many of us played the most this year. If hours played was the sole stipulation for game of the year considerations, Destiny would be mine by a mile. Like Flappy Bird before it, the game just fits my lifestyle. I could jump in and do any number of activities at any time, depending on my mood and if my friends were playing, we could keep in touch. And the core loop of rewarding gameplay still gives me the itch to play even four months after the initial launch.

I actually had to force myself to stop playing Destiny and try out other games that I’d heard good things about. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor was one of those games. I had a hard time getting into it because I was still recovering from my Destiny hangover, but now that I’ve separated from Destiny, I am able to appreciate the nuances and innovations that game brings to the industry at a time when such things have become alarmingly scarce. I haven’t played enough of it to call it my definitive game of the year, but if there were an award for “Game I Can’t Wait to Finish Next Year”, it would go to Shadow of Mordor.

That’s three examples now, in which I’ve unintentionally crowned games with fake consolation awards – let’s hear it for Flappy Bird, “Best Toilet Game!” Give it up for Destiny, taking way too long with its acceptance speech for “Most Hours Played!” And of course we can’t forget Shadow of Mordor for “Game I Can’t Wait to Finish Next Year!”

What the hell am I doing with my life?

This is really just a one thousand-word way for me to say that I’m not qualified to choose a game of the year for 2014, so I’m not even going to try. If you really want to see a bit more about the games I’ve enjoyed the most this year, check out the game of the year videos I’ve posted in the last few weeks. They’re all deserving of the top prize, and if I had more time to focus on games, I would totally tell you the specific one game that rules them all in 2014, but I can’t.

I appreciate you sticking with me through all this, but really, that’s the gist of it – my official “Weekend Paper Game of the Year for 2014” is….

All of them.


Check out the video montage below to see all the games I played on my Playstation 4 in 2014. 


Comments