The Weekend Paper - December 14, 2014

Photo courtesy blog.ubi.com
As I've been writing The Weekend Paper, I've been especially cognizant of my tendency to embrace something simply because it's widely acclaimed by people who aren't me. You know the feeling. You walk out of the theater after seeing a highly regarded film and instead of wondering what kind of crack everyone else is smoking, you start to wonder if there's something wrong with you.

"What am I missing?" You think to yourself. "Maybe I'm just not smart enough. Maybe if I think about it long enough, I can convince myself I actually liked it."

Except, there's nothing wrong with you at all. You just have different tastes, and that's fine. Artistic preference does not and should not be unanimous. It's important to embrace your own personal tastes and understand what your favorite things say about you.

So I've been working on a list of my hundred favorite "things" of all time. It encompasses video games, movies, music, TV shows and books. Mainly, I just wanted to sort it all out and get a clearer picture of what my personal tastes consist of, as well as share that with you, the reader. I'll hopefully be publishing that list in the coming weeks.

But in the mean time, this week has a few posts that you might find interesting. Here they are.


  • Those things that I love that I mentioned before? They're such an integral part of me, that I feel a strange need to share them with those I love, including my helpless young daughter
  • We finally saw some gameplay footage of the PS4's supposed killer app, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End. I was extremely excited to see it, so why do I feel a bit underwhelmed?
  • McDonald's is running a new ad campaign on YouTube to clean up their image. But after watching one of these ads, I am even less interested in ever eating there again.
  • One of the best games I played this year was Child of Light. It featured rhyming dialogue and a female lead. I made a video about why I love it, is that alright? Or would you prefer I make you read?
Come back next week for more. And keep getting the word out. I greatly appreciate everyone who has read so far and shared with others. 

Cheers,

Daniel



Comments