The Weekend Paper - January 17, 2015

Photo courtesy gamingdebugged.com
Judging by this week’s edition of The Weekend Paper, I’ve been on a retro gaming kick this past week. The game I’m currently addicted to is Rogue Legacy; a side-scrolling hack n’ slasher that mixes genre the timeless gameplay of Castlevania with Roguelike elements of permadeath and random level generation. It reminds me of the games I used to play when I was a kid, and the addictive design structure is just about the most brilliant game design I’ve seen in a long while.

When I wasn’t playing Rogue Legacy, I was re-reading Console Wars, a narrative journalistic look at the battle for living rooms in the early 1990’s between Sega and Nintendo. It uses a style similar to Money Ball and The Social Network by emphasizing the drama and humor behind the true stories of corporate intrigue and marketing hail Mary’s.

I even had a chance to interview filmmakers who just released a documentary called World 1-1 that takes an in-depth look at the early days of gaming and the people who helped pioneer an entire industry. It was a delightful chat and I highly recommend watching the documentary for yourself.
  • If you'd like to listen to the podcast in which we interview the makers of World 1-1, head on over here.
  • Playing Rogue Legacy enticed me to research the roguelike genre and try to parse out once and for all - what the heck is a roguelike anyway?
  • I read a lot of books about video games and I plan on writing mini book reports on a lot of them. The first one, as you may have guessed, is Console Wars by Blake J. Harris.
Cheers,

Daniel

If you’re enjoying The Weekend Paper, I’d appreciate your support on my Go Fund Me campaign, so that I can create more video content and purchase a domain name for the site rather than using the Blogspot template. If you don’t want to donate, no worries, but maybe you could share the Go Fund Me page with your friends. Thanks for reading! 

Comments