The Weekend Paper - March 21, 2015

Photo courtesy onlysp.com

I haven't posted to The Weekend Paper in ages, for multiple reasons. Either I've been too busy, too sick, or when I've been able, my computer hasn't cooperated. I'm still working on Red Willow, but I'm working on changing the format. Bram Stoker wrote Dracula in an unusual format that I don't see often in novels anymore. Every chapter is a different journal entry by a different character. They all fit together like a murder mystery that makes the reader feel like a detective piecing together the horror and mystery of Dracula and his victims. I want to write Red Willow in the same style, allowing each of the characters to shine, while maintaining the mystery that makes the main villain terrifying. Jaws is a big influence, and I don't want to show the shark too soon. 

Otherwise, I've been playing a lot of games lately, but nothing has really struck my fancy quite like a beautiful little mobile game called Alto's Adventure. The game has become my go-to mobile game, and I was instantly drawn to its style, which seems like a mix of Journey and Monument Valley. I can't stop playing it, so I decided to reach out to Ryan Cash, the game's Director, to talk about its development. I hope you enjoy the article that came out of that.

I also played a game called The Order: 1886, a game that takes place in an alternate version of London, in which King Arthur's Knights of the Round Table still exist in 1886 and protect Britain from creatures of the night that have become prevalent in the city. It's a third person shooter with astounding visuals and exceptional production values. However, it does have issues, and even though I'd like to see a sequel, there are a few things that should be changed for that to have any appeal to me or most people who played the game. I made a video about four things the developer could do to get me back into their vision of an early industrialized version of London. 

We also recorded and published an episode of the podcast this week. It doesn't warrant its own article on The Weekend Paper, but if you'd like to listen to it, you can check it out here. We talk all about the Law & Order SVU episode that takes on GamerGate and value in games. 

I hope you enjoy, and I will hopefully be back next week. As always, thanks for reading!

Comments